We are committed to publishing original stories that spark meaningful conversation about Asian American identity and empowering real people to share real stories.
Our namesake literary magazine challenges readers to dig deeper when thinking about race and identity. Each issue is centered around a theme, which will be announced once the submissions window opens. From there, we are interested in receiving story pitches around that theme in the following creative formats:
- Creative non-fiction (e.g., memoir, personal essay)
- Short stories
- Art / Illustration
The submissions window for Issue 02 will open on January 15, 2018. In the meantime, please familiarize yourself with our submission guidelines below.
// Submissions Guidelines
- We are currently only accepting stories that can be printed in our literary magazine. We will not be distributing our editorial content online. To find our "live" digital content, please refer to our Instagram.
- We believe that there are so many powerful real life stories that need to be told; therefore, we are currently only accepting non-fiction work.
- We want to showcase the diversity of Asian culture and we accept submissions from Asian writers and artists of all cultural backgrounds (this includes hapas, or mixed-race Asian Americans) across generations (not just Millennials) and geographies (beyond the coasts).
- We ask for first North American serial rights (FNASR) should your work be accepted for publication. Authors and artists retain all rights to their work after publication.
- We request that contributors acknowledge their work's first publication in Slant'd if it is reprinted elsewhere.
- To maintain the integrity of the literary magazine, we ask that you submit writing samples (for written pieces) or samples from your portfolio (for art pieces) with your story pitch.
- Please note: Slant'd is a completely volunteer-run media company. Regrettably, we can't pay for submissions at this time.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Submissions"